God comes through for us, but we are often in need of reminders.
Read Matthew 2:9-11
Why do you think the timing was perfect for the wise men to visit Mary and Joseph? Do you remember what they had been through?
They probably needed confirmation of what God was calling them to.
• Mary became pregnant before she was married to Joseph.
• They fled the country in fear their son would be killed.
• They had to spend the night in a stable and gave birth to their Son, who was foretold to be the Savior of the world. His crib was a manger (the feeding trough for animals).
At this point, they must have needed a reminder of who this Baby was and that God was really watching over them! I don’t know about you, but I might have had my doubts that this really was the Son of God to be the Savior of the world, too!
Can you think of other people from the Bible who God reminded He was still in charge?
• Daniel in the lion’s den. (Daniel 6)
• The Israelites trapped at the edge of the Red Sea and God splits the water, so they can walk on dry ground. (Exodus 14)
• Jesus rose on the third day. (Luke 24)
• Healing the guard whose ear was cut off by Peter. (Luke 22:49-51)
Life isn’t always going to be easy, but God will come through! God’s plan is perfect. God’s timing is perfect. Our response has to be to trust him, just as Mary and Joseph did.
Questions for children:
• How do you think God reminds us He is here?
Through other people, especially your parents. The Bible. The Holy Spirit.
• Has there been a time that you know God reminded you? How?
• How will you respond to God the next time things are going your way? (Someone doesn’t treat you fairly or even lies about you?)
Questions for teens:
• Do you ever wonder about the things God does that you didn’t notice?
• When has God reminded you He is helping you?
• Do you expect God to come through for you?
• What is the worst that can happen to you?
• For the Christian, how is God victorious even in death?
Even in losing our own life, it means we will be with Him in heaven.
Since you are reading this, you aren’t dead. Look for God’s encouragement. Look for God working. Look for His reminders that He is still in charge. Mary and Joseph had no one else to turn to. They were completely dependent and desperate for God. This is usually when God shows up. When we know it can be no one else but Him who rescues us!
“God, help us see You at work. Help us to trust in You more. I believe You can help us, but help me really believe it! Help me to really trust You. Thanks for Your Word and how it shows us we can rely on You!”
Trackback from your site.