Get this: When college students, with a strong faith, were asked, “Looking back, what would you say attributed to your lasting faith?” A huge percentage of them referred to having faith conversations in the home.Connecting your children to the heart of God, doesn’t just happen by having family devotions and prayer times. Those times are vital, but it also happens as we, throughout our daily routine, talk about the things of GodWe connect our child’s heart with God’s:
- When we discipline and then pray together.
- When we play and then apologize for being too competitive.
- When we bring God into our decision making and ask for help.
- When you turn off the TV, because it isn’t pure, noble, praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8)
- When we do chores and work and mention how great heaven is going to be.
- When we catch ourselves worrying and then remind the family that God is in control.
- When we serve our neighbor, just because God compels us to love in action.
- When we see a strange looking animal and wonder what God was thinking.
- When we sin and talk about how easy it is to do wrong and how in need we are of a Savior!
This is what God intended when He said, “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7
When we do these simple things, we bring God into the daily routine of life. We live out constant communion with God. We show our children a dependency upon God. We demonstrate a real relationship with Him. Do not be afraid to be bold and blunt with your children about the things of God. They need to see you live out your faith and they need you to lead them until they decide to (hopefully) follow Him for themselves. Then they will see what it means to be “in Christ”…a real Christian.
To help you on this journey of talking about God throughout life, look in your email every Tuesday for a conversation starter; a discussion on a scripture verse to help you some time throughout your week to help you devote some time to thinking about God. It can be around the dinner table, in the car, at a restaurant, at bedtime, etc. The point is to talk about God whenever & wherever; just do it. When you do, you will be impacting the next generation and the generations to come; your kids, your grand-kids and your great-grand kids. It starts now.
LIKE our Facebook page!
Trackback from your site.