I received an email a week ago asking if I knew about a good locator app so parents could locate their child’s whereabouts anytime. Has your child ever not called or texted when they arrived somewhere even though you pay for them to have a cell phone? Ever wonder if they are where they should be? Locate your child with these apps you can install on their phone. Besides the obvious fact of seeing that they are where they should be, these apps allow them to check in when they arrive to their destination and can alert you when they are on the move.
If you have a locator app that you use, please let us know what you think about it. As well an internet filter for phones.
Here are some apps I explored. I am personally using the Android apps:
1. GPS Tracking Pro (Android and iOS)
This is a good, free app that tells me where my daughter is and sends me an email every time she leaves and arrives home.
- The App’s map shows icons of family and friends with their exact locations.
- There is a panic button as well that will call/text/email everyone in the family and then brings up a button to dial 911
- The GPS Tracking Pro App can also locate any phone that has been misplaced or stolen.
- The website map also provides directions that can be printed to guide you to the destination.
- A child can hit the “check in” button when they get to where they are supposed to be and you are notified.
- Does not offer parental restrictions (which means your kids can log out or delete the app.) So, trust needs to be in place as well, but it’s a great bargaining factor especially since you are the ones paying for their ability to connect with all their friends at any time.
Cost: Free (Premium version is $5/month)
2. Footprints (iOS app)
We don’t have iphones, so I can’t test this app, but here is what the website said.
- Let’s you set up Geofences, for instance, your child’s school. You are notified when your child crosses these “fences.”
- You can even activate “movement sensors” that will notify you each time your loved ones are on the move.
- Offers parental control feature
- Speeding notifications can alert parents when their teenagers go over the speed limit.
Cost: 3-months ($1.99), 1-year ($3.99) or 2-years ($5.99) PER PHONE
3. Find my phone (iOS app)
Ron Uhland told me about this one. He uses it as he travels the world. He can see where his wife before he calls.
- Locate your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac on a map
- Display a custom message on the screen
- Play a sound for two minutes at full volume (even if your device is set to silent)
- Remotely lock your device & wipe your device to erase your personal data
- Lost Mode (iOS 6 or later)
- Driving directions to device location (iOS 6 or later)
- Does not offer parental restrictions
4. NQ Family Guardian (Android Only)
This app is much more than just a locator tool. This app is great for controlling and keeping an eye on almost everything your child does on their phone. There is an online dashboard where parents can view their child’s location, all their contacts, phone calls, text messages, web pages visited, and even photos they take!
- I can set a schedule when my daughter’s phone can be used. I turned off the social networking apps from 10pm-7am. I could even lock the phone all together or set up a schedule for web browsing or texting.
- Logs all websites viewed and any which are blocked.
- I can restrict and block apps, websites and even block contacts!
- It even shows all the phone call logs and text messages to each contact!
- Geofences. This allows you to be alerted when they leave the set geophraphical areas you have set up.
- Children need a password to access the app.
- There is a panic button if they’re in danger.
- It “does not block adult content on a non-pornographic webpages” such as youtube or google images.
- It can be uninstalled without a password.
- YOU CANNOT trust the browser blocker! They have not perfected this. For instance, the second time you try to access blocked content, it will let you.
Cost: 34.99/ year. No monthly fee…
Stay tuned for content filter apps for phones…
Trackback from your site.